SPREZZATURA is my favorite word. At its base level, it means nonchalance. It describes the art of doing something difficult with the greatest of ease.
Art without (apparent) effort.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Off to Denver to share a kidney

Terry and I will have something in common after this Thursday, April 28, 2011. He will have one of my kidneys. I will have the other one. That's me on the left; Terry on the right. This will be a big adventure for both of us, and we want to share it with anyone who might be interested.
The transplant will happen at Porter Adventist Hospital. The people there have graciously consented to let me photograph as much of my experience as possible. There will be written posts and photographs from both of us throughout the experience. We probably won't be doing much during the surgery, though.

6 comments:

  1. So do you know if they're taking your right kidney, or your left kidney? Any preference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,

    Whatever you do, don't let them take your bladder, if today is any indicator you'll want to keep it, and maybe ask for an enlargement:)

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known." - Sidney Carton from A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

    Hope you fare better than Sidney. Good luck Paul!

    Brannen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am silenced by this incredible gift. May everything go as planned for the surgery. I will wear my good luck underwear tomorrow. Vivien

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,

    Sprezzatura! Your favorite Italian word! That's what this picture portrays, but I know that you both have put a lot of thought and prayers in this decision. May God be with you and so are we.

    Debby & Tommy B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, I am overwhelmed and awed by this gift for your friend...Thinking of you both and sending my best...

    ReplyDelete